Tuesday, January 13, 2009

White Teeth

I read the article by Jhumpa Lahiri that Angela posted, and this quotation struck me:
"I also entered a world my parents had little knowledge or control of: school, books, music, television, things that seeped in and became a fundamental aspect of who I am."
In White Teeth, there's a scene where Alsana and Samad burn Millat's Western pop culture artifacts (records, books, movies, whatnot) in response to Millat's blind embrace of the fatwa on Salman Rushdie. The quotation from Lahiri echoed that scene in a very poignant way--Millat's life reflected this seepage (so to speak) of Western pop culture, but his involvement in KEVIN (admittedly a version of Islam rooted firmly in Western tradition and political history) couldn't counter his bad boy styles despite his father's perpetual hope that he would embrace Islam. Just another example of hybrid cultures of immigrants and their children, prevalent in all of the books so far.
I loved White Teeth. Actually, I've loved all the books so far, though I'm about halfway through the Sherman Alexie book and I don't like it nearly as much. I hope everyone else is enjoying them as much as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment